Like previous years, I want to continue the habit of sharing my goals around blogging and learning experiments. Clearly, this update for the first half of 2014 is already late. In addition, I did slip up on the important goals of 2013.
Status of 2013 Goals
Here is my assessment of the goals I had set myself in the second half of 2014.
- Complete the blog series on Understanding Virtual Networks
- Status Update: I completed the blogs related to Linux based Virtual Networking.
- Coming soon: The blog on VMware based Virtual Networking is just around the corner (belatedly)
- Pending: OpenStack networking and Open vSwitch
- Score: 5/10. I should have completed this. There is absolutely no excuse for missing this goal.
- Complete the permalink SEO change for this blog
- Status Update: The permalink changes are still pending.
- This is an important goal but has wider impact. In order to switch-over to new permalink structure on my blog, I need to make sure that old style permalinks are reachable. I need some time to test all the changes so have been delaying this task.
- Score: 0/10
- Reading up on E-book publishing with focus on Leanpub.com, Amazon.com, Google Play Books
- Status Update: Finished my reading of Leanpub and Amazon. But Google Play was more of a cursory glance.
- Though I have read through these resources, I have not yet finalized a strategy or goal for E-book publishing
- Score: 7⁄10
Overall assessment: Looking back at 2013, I clearly missed several goals. Though one of my YouTube video crossed 2000 views, I am disappointed that I missed the goal that was closest to my heart.
Goals for 2014 first half
And here is what I have planned for the first half of 2014 (really the remaining 4 months)
- Complete the Understanding Virtual Networks series
- Finish the introductory blogs about OpenStack Networking and Open vSwitch
- Write two curated posts
- Publish two short YouTube videos
Given that I have about 4 months for these goals and that work pressure will be high during this time, I believe the goals are challenging yet achievable. I hope that in 2014, I become more systematic and consistent with my blogging by using techniques such as curated content.
Please share your thoughts and suggestions to help me become a more regular and effective blogger.